Monday, January 30, 2012

Me Vs (cough, cough) I Mean With "The Boys"

A few weeks ago Kesia one of my friends I originally met when I worked at 911 called and asked if her son Devin (8) could stay this past weekend with me. I made sure we were going to be in town and made sure Matt was ok with it and I told her yes. The first time I kept Devin he was 2, he has stayed with me a lot and has never been any problem. Then I had the idea that it would be "easier" and more fun if we invited Colby, our nephew (Matt's sisters oldest) to stay too. The two had met and really hit it off at our wedding but since they don't live in the same neighborhood, don't go to the same school, and don't go to the same church they haven't gotten to see each other since. It was a good idea even if I was wrong about it being "easier."

Towards the end of the work week Nathan, Leigh's husband, called Matt if he could get away this weekend. He had gotten to use his boss's condo in Orange Beach and since Leigh couldn't go he wanted to take the brother in laws on a guys fishing weekend. Matt at first said he couldn't go. We had the boys coming and he had another commitment at church on Sunday. I have to say here that Matt is a VERY hard worker. His job is not one where he goes and sits at a desk all day and leaves at 5:00. He travels to Troy (about 45 minutes- 1 hour away) almost everyday and I don't think he has ever left at 5:00. It is nothing for us to be at work at 6:00 or even 7:00 multiple nights a week. Then on the weekends he is constantly busy doing "home" stuff (i.e. painting, building stuff we need around the house, mowing the lawn/ lawn maintenence, etc.) at our house and his house that we are trying to sell. The man hardly ever has any time to relax and he never complains about it. So, I went into planning mode trying to convince him to go so he could just relax and have fun for the weekend. Finally he agreed to go.

The boys left right after work on Friday and me, L, L, and E all went out to eat. We were having a hard time deciding where to eat so we finally agreed on a "progressive dinner." We started out at Panera for soup, then we went to Moe's for dinner, then to 32° for dessert! It was so fun! Ellie is so big now that she just sat with us in the booth's! I wish I had taken more pictures because she had so much fun! At 32° we met Kesia and Dev and my weekend was off!

Dev and I got home about 9:30 and I was EXHAUSTED! I set him up with a computer in the guest room, put a DVD on in there and told him that he could stay up as long as he wanted because we were sleeping in the next morning! I also set the milk and the oj on the bottom shelf of the refridgerator and sat out the cereal, a bowl, spoon, and glass on the counter so if he did wake up early that he could fix breakfast and watch cartoons. I told him he could wake me up whenever he needed me but that if he didn't need me not to wake me up until 9:00! (I will post a link later where you can nominate me for babysitter of the year!) I lit a path from his room to mine with night lights so he could get to me easy and evidently it worked because he would come in there three times before I finally got up (for the last time) the next morning!

At about 6:00 a.m. Saturday morning I woke up to the beautiful morning sounds of Romeo (our dog) throwing up. Lovely. Nothing like getting your weekend off with a bang than by cleaning up dog puke out of the carpet. I got everything cleaned up and went back to bed. About 7:30 Devin came in and woke me up with, "Laurie, there is a bug in my room." So, I get back up go in there and find a ginormous roach. I need to interject here with if I listed the three things I hate worst in the world they would be (in order) 1. Sin 2. Roaches 3. Throw Up. But, being the super woman I am ;), I got a shoe and killed the bug. I will admit that I had to have Devin clean it up and flush it but I had had my fill up cleaning up gross things by this point. I went BACK to bed for a couple of hours and was able to get some uninterrupted sleep. I got up he had his second breakfast and I had my first.

We then got ready and went to pick up Colby. Devin was really excited and Colby was too when we got there! We immediately went to Louise's for lunch then they played for a while in the back yard before we went with Louise and E to the park to burn off some energy. After the park we went to Faulkner so we could watch the basketball game while the boys played in the multiplex (think multiple basketball courts, a volleyball court, and multiple raquetball rooms) that is attached to the gym. This was pretty successful minus a few bumps that are expected when a bunch of boys that age are playing together. After the games we went with a big group to Dairy Queen for dinner. The boys each got to order (and ate and finished!) an adult meal and a dessert! They were really happy but WOW were they "sugared" up! All of my steps that I had taken to wear them out and I just "refueled" their energy tanks! So, we went home and they were BOUNCING off the walls!

The plan was to play the Wii but, of course, I couldn't get the stupid thing to work! Plan B was Uno. Not the same level of energy burning but it was the best my exhausted self could come up with! So we played for about thirty minutes I told them to get ready for bed and they did but with a lot of extra stuff involved! I was thinking there was NO way I would ever get them to sleep. I finally got them in their beds and I went to devin's room first to turn off the light and tell him goodnight. Right after that I walked down and did the same with Colby. When I walked back down to Devin's room HE WAS ASLEEP! I walked back down to Colby's room and HE WAS ASLEEP TOO! They must have been EXHAUSTED (mwuhaha! :) and I was not complaining!

My plan to get a solid night's sleep didn't quite work out because Romeo decided about 2am that it was time to get up for the day and look for Daddy! Grrr... Finally, Sunday morning rolled in and I got up and checked on the boys and they were still asleep! This was a little before 7 so I took the opportunity to get a hot, quiet shower! THEN I finally had to WAKE them up! We all got off to church and stopped and got breakfast and we were still there on time! That, my friends, was a WIN! The boys were SO good during services and they seemed to both have a good time in Bible class! After that was lunch at Leigh's where they both ate and then played outside for a couple of more hours before we all realxed and watched a movie. As the movie was just about over MATT WALKED IN! The boys were excited to see him but NO ONE was more than I!

I am glad I survived the weekend and, most of all, I am glad that both the boys had a really good time and asked if we could do it again! that, my friends, makes it a WIN and me ONE COOL AUNT! Now, I just need a few months to recover and we WILL do it again! This time though, I more than willing to give up the "cool Aunt" title and move back over to being the one who cooks and cleans up after the "cool Uncle" and the boys!

To make sure that the weekend ended on a super good note Matt had planned a fun date night at our favorite restaurant after church Sunday night! We had some really good sushi and even better conversation and quality time. All together I am calling it a very successfull although EXHAUSTING weekend!


Louise said...

I think the weekend was a win and I think you handled everything so well!!!! You are a cool aunt!!! :)

Home Utility said...

Great article you have posting. Thank you for the experience of reading this post.

Buy Celebrations Online | Cloth Drying Stand